Friday, November 16, 2007

Hmmm....

What is a Salvationist? And what does a Salvationist look like?

I should really put that on Facebook to be honest.

That question came into my head last Sunday after hearing a comment of the sort "At least he looks like a Salvationist now". For some reason this totally jarred in my head with something. Don't yet know what that is. I don't think a Salvationist should "look" like anything. A Salvationist should be a person that looks like everybody else, but wants to spread the message of Salvation to the rest of the planet. Personally I don't think it should be about looks. Personality is all that matters. And it's all that should matter. I agree, for certain things that are in public it is important not to look shabby, because that would affect people's opinion of the Army and what it can do for people (maybe that's just the Govanite in me or something).

BUT

wearing a uniform does not mean you are a Christian. Not wearing a uniform does not mean you aren't a Christian ( I think that's right...) So therefore I do not think it should be about whether someone looks like a Salvationist or not, it is about actions and words and who that person is that determines whether he/she is Salvationist, or a Christian.

And I speak from experience.

I wear a uniform and I feel like a hypocrit sometimes. If my faith disappears without any sign, or something happens to make me rethink i feel like a liar. I'm showing something to people by wearing my uniform that maybe I don't actually believe in.

But you know what.

Sometimes it's the uniform that makes me think. It's the uniform that actually keeps me searching. Because I am so aware of the fact that I am being a hypocrit etc.

And in that way, I am glad that I look like a Salvationist.

It keeps me thinking.

(Answers to the questions would be appreciated.)

No comments: